Finally, the much-awaited nursery bedding for your little one’s crib has arrived!
One important aspect of a beautiful and safe nursery is a properly installed crib bedding, especially the crib bumper. Without a question, bumpers serve multiples roles, from the design, practical, and safety aspects. Whereas it helps put the final finishing comfort touches to your baby’s crib, much like a comforter & shams does on your bed. Practically, they help protect a baby’s little arms & feet from getting between the slats of the crib.
Crib bumpers also provide that extra layer of protection when you are transitioning your baby into a crib. They also keep your baby’s peeking eyes from noticing when you sneak into the room to check upon them.
The most vital thing when installing a bumper is to make sure that it fits tightly. Only then will it provide the most security and safety. Some fabrics have more stretch than others as fabrics and patterns differ. So, to ensure the perfect fit follow the fundamentals of installing the crib bumper.
The basic steps involved in setting up your baby’s crib with a bumper are:
- Make sure the crib is clear by removing any toys or items before you begin installing the bumper.
- The short end of the bumper panel should be securely fitted inside the crib by securing it to the crib’s sides.
- Tie the cords to the outside of the crib and fasten the back section of the bumper tightly along the back rails.
- After you have secured the back corners, tie the center back of the bumper.
- Secure both the ties from the short end and those on the front section.
- Take care to overlap the cords before tying them to prevent gaps.
To ensure you get the right bumper and fit it right at the first go, here’s a step by step guide on how to fit your baby’s crib with a bumper;
Step 1: Assess Crib
We suggest that you begin the installation process by assessing the crib. This will help you understand the parts and construction which will come in handy as you will know exactly where the crib bumper kit is to be fitted. Do read the instruction manual if you’ve stored it away.
Step 2: Examine Kit
There are loads of options in the market to buy a baby bumper kit in the same style as the bedding within the crib so that you have a matching set. When finding a bumper, ensure you get one that is hypo-allergenic. This will prevent any allergic reactions from flaring up in your baby.
Once your bumper kit arrives ensure that all cords and panels are included in the package and according to instructions. This will help you gain an understanding of which part goes on to which section of the crib. At this stage, you’ll notice that one end of the panel shorter than the other. This is your starting point.
Step 3: Fit Bumper
Once you have the shorter end at hand make sure that only the mattress should be in place. Any other items in the crib might prevent the bumper from being tucked into the edge of the mattress tightly. Start against either the inside corner of the headboard or the footboard of the crib.
You might end up installing the bumper incorrectly if you start in the middle of one of the rails. Make sure the bumper is positioned around the inside rails with the corner seams placed accordingly. The ties should be facing the outside of the crib.
- Step 1: Tie the first corner of the short end to the back-corner crib post firmly. You should secure the cords to the outside of the crib before tying them off. You can do this by weaving them through the rails. Start by pulling the cord through to the rails on the outside of the crib by pressing the bumper against the board you are starting with.
Firmly pull the back section of the bumper along the back rails until they are taut and then fasten it at the other back corner. An important thing to remember here is that the bumper remains taut along its entire length.
- Step 2: Continue doing this by pressing the baby crib bumper to the inner rails until you reach the next corner. Make sure you secure all corners first by fastening them before you begin with the cords in the middle of the rails.
It is vital to make sure that the baby crib bumper is pulled taut before tying it off. Once you’ve tied the corners securely, you should secure the cord midway along the length of the panel as an additional fastener.
- Step 3: After securing the back corners you may tie the center back ties. This provides extra reinforcement by firmly attaching the crib bumper along the back of the crib.
- Step 4: Now, the front corners of the crib bumper should be securely tied in the same manner. Work all corners until the final corner where the two ends meet. By crisscrossing the ties from the short end and the ties on the front section to the front bedpost, you can prevent gaps between the mattress, slats, and the bumper.
- Step 5: Lastly, secure the center ties on the front.
Remember, a crib bumper is an elegant design aspect that brightens up your baby’s nursery and crib. It also has a utility and safety aspect to it, which can be exploited only if you install the bumper correctly on the crib.
This will prevent any untoward injuries from occurring and providing a comfortable and secure sleep to your toddler. So, to make sure you have the safest setup for your baby, ensure you’ve removed any toys or items that might have gotten in the nooks and crannies between the mattress and the crib.
The bumpers are designed so that they have one short end. Begin from this point and either the headboard or footboard of the crib. Follow our detailed guide and you’ll have your crib bumper installed within few minutes.