What is it and how does it work? It is a thin silicone teat specially designed to be placed over a mother’s nipple. It’s flexible and has holes in it so that milk can flow from mother to baby. Here are the ones we have researched to help you find what suits you best.
|1. FJYQOP Nipple Shield||Check Price|
|2. MAM Breastfeeding Nipple Shield||Check Price|
|3. Cradle Plus Nipple Shield Set||Check Price|
|4. Purifyou Nipples Shields||Check Price|
|5. Haakaa Nipple Shields||Check Price|
|6. Bonana Silicone Nipple Shields||Check Price|
|7. Mamivac Nipple shield By Spectra Baby USA||Check Price|
Our Best Nipple Shields – Reviews and Comparisons
1. FJYQOP Nipple Shield
FJYQOP nipple shield is perfect for women that are struggling to feed due to having inverted or flat nipples.
- The shape of these shields allow for maximum contact between your nipple and the shield
- Silicon is super soft and flexible, making it more comfortable for the baby to use
- Can be used from when you start breastfeeding right until you finish
- When you aren’t using them, put them in the protective box
- These shields are really easy to clean
What We Like About FJYQOP Nipple Shield
The shield is large enough to be used by women with larger nipples. It helps women suffering from ripped nipples to heal quicker and this product really helps to stop that from happening for future nursing. Any mothers out there with inverted nipples can use this to help their babies latch.
What We Don’t Like About the FJYQOP Nipple Shield
There is a lot of empty space between your nipple and the tip of the shield. You may find that the size of the nipple is a bit big for a newborn baby. Not everyone can feed easily with these shields as it is hard to stimulate flow.
- Suited for for women with inverted nipples and other issues
- Big enough teat for older babies
- Helps babies that are tongue tied latch
- Come with a protective box
- Too big for a newborn babies
- Doesn’t stimulate the nipple
2. MAM Breastfeeding Nipple Shield
The soft MAM nipple shield comes in two sizes so that you can choose the best size for you. It also promotes maximum skin to skin contact with the baby.
- Teat comes with a box for storage on the go
- Put the teat in its box to sterilize in the microwave
- Small holes and the soft texture do not irritate mom or baby
- The shield is cut out on at the top and bottom so that the baby can smell mom’s skin while nursing
- Silicone is very thin
What We Like About MAM Nipple Shield
Stops nipple pain during feeds and pulls small nipples into the shield to stimulate milk flow. The shape allows you to have as much skin to skin contact as possible and babies can’t tell the difference between the nipple and the guard.
What We Don’t Like About MAM Nipple Shield
It doesn’t stay on properly and sometimes slides off during feeds requiring constant readjustments. The shield doesn’t fit larger nipples very well either, making it even more awkward to use.
- Babies can feed comfortably
- Stimulates the milk flow
- Protects nipples during a feed
- Breathable shield
- Slip and slide about during a feed
- Only suitable for small nipples
3. Cradle Plus Nipple Shield Set
Cradle Plus provides you with a set of silicone nipple shields and a portable container to store the shields safely. Included are two breast shells to collect leaked milk after a letdown.
The additional benefit of the free breast shells is you put them over your nipples to collect any dripped milk after a feed. Wearing them throughout the day instead of nipple pads allows you to collect any spilt milk instead of throwing it out
- Nipples shields come in a set with a container and two nipple shells
- Shields prevent pain during feeds and stimulate milk from inverted and flat nipples
- Made from food-grade silicone and PVC so that you can be sure your baby is not ingesting harmful chemicals
- Easy to clean after every use and can be sterilized in hot water or in a steam sterilizer
- Free of BPA
What We Like About Cradle Plus Nipple Shield
The shields are a medium size so well suited for small and large nipples. The shields stay in place during feeds and don’t need to be adjusted constantly in the middle. They help stimulate milk flow so that your baby won’t get frustrated and upset during a feed. Unblocking milk ducts, prevent future infections and nipple issues.
The breast shells that come in the pack come in handy after a feed to prevent leakage.
What We Don’t Like About Cradle Plus Nipple Shield
The nipple shields have a lot of silicone on the outside so if you have small breasts it may not sit tight on you. Not as effective for women that have inverted nipples as some other shield brands.
- A 5 piece breastfeeding set
- Prevent clogged milk ducts
- Made from food grade silicone
- Not enough skin to skin allowed during feeds
- Doesn’t work as well on smaller breasts
4. Purifyou Nipples Shields
It comes as a set of three shields so you are never caught off guard. The Purifyou shields are designed with women with inverted nipples in mind.
- Made with food grade silicone, non toxic and safe for baby and mom
- Free of BPA, BPS, Latex Phthalate and Lead
- They are available in two sizes, 24mm set and 20mm small set
- Shields come with a storage box, keeping them clean and sterile
- Manufactured in an environment free of harmful chemicals
- Unique shape and design, allows maximum skin to skin contact during feeds
What We Like About Purifyou Nipple Shield
It helps babies ease the latching process during breastfeeding. The shields stick to the nipple really well so they won’t move in the middle of a feed.
Promotes milk flow even with flat or inverted nipples. They are just perfect if you have smaller nipples and your baby doesn’t latch on to your natural nipple.
What We Don’t Like About Purifyou Nipple Shield
It is painful if used on big nipples. If your baby moves about during a feed the shield will come loose. The shape of the shields hurt some women as it has a narrow nipple opening. Newborns might find it a little bit tough to suck on.
- Unique shape allows for as much skin to skin contact as possible
- Works on flat nipples
- Painful during feeds for women with larger nipples
- Comes away from the nipple
5. Haakaa Nipple Shields
The teat is elongated especially to create distance between your nipple and the baby. Designed to be used only when your nipples are particularly sore and cracked.
- 100% silicone, made of high quality food-grade material
- Can be sterilized in boiling water and steam sterilizers. Not heat sensitive and the silicone will not release harmful chemicals when you wash them in heat like some other plastics
- BPA, lead and phthalate-free
- Realistic areola design and feel
- The shields have a vent on the side to stop your baby from choking if the flow is too fast
- The design prevents your baby from inhaling bubbles and getting wind. Having a steady milk flow and being able to control how much the baby gets at a time helps reduce painful stomach aches
What We Like About Haakaa Nipple Shields
The shield is easy for the baby to latch onto and helps tongue-tied babies latch and feed. Made from food-grade material it is safe to sterilize in boiling water so no more fussing about with time-consuming sterilizing techniques.
What We Don’t Like About Haakaa Nipple Shields
The teat is far away from your nipple if you are small breasted which makes getting a milk flow near to impossible. The seal around the nipples isn’t tight enough to create a strong suction.
- Made of very safe materials
- Stops the baby from taking in too many bubbles
- Encourages babies to latch
- Thin and feels like a nipple
- Too much distance between nipples and shield
- Hard to get a fast milk flow
6. Bonana Silicone Nipple Shields
The Bonana Silicone nipple shields cup on to the nipple to provide secure support during feeds. Every woman that is suffering from sore nipples would benefit from giving the Bonana shields a try.
- The shields have ventilation holes to stop sweating and chafing, keeping your nipples dry will stop things like nipple thrush and other fungal infections
- The spiral design stops the milk from flowing too quickly to the baby, preventing stomach aches from swallowing too much air
- Milk glands are gently stimulated during feeds helping any moms that struggle to get a good letdown
- The nipple guards can be used while pumping (which can also be painful)
- The shields come with a complimentary case that you can throw in your handbag and use on the go
- Free of toxic chemicals and safe for you and your baby. Even after sterilizing the shields do not emit toxic chemicals
What We Like About Bonana Nipple Shields
Transitions your baby easily from nipple to bottle and is food grade safe to use, giving moms peace of mind. The case is great for storing the shields in a sterile way while out on trips. It stimulates milk flow during a feed making the whole feeding process a little easier.
What We Don’t Like About Bonana Nipple Shields
The milk spills out of the air vents on the side of the flow is too fast. It might be too big for newborn babies and is rather large, even for big nipples.
- The shield stays secure during feeds
- Easy to sterilize and keep clean
- Suitable for pumping
- No pain during feeds
- The design is very big
- Newborns are too small to use it
- It is very flimsy
7. Mamivac Nipple shield By Spectra Baby USA
Place the Mamivac silicone nipple over your own during breastfeeding. Babies that are tongue-tied or have other oral abnormalities will benefit from using this nipple shield. Moms can order the shield in a size that is suitable for their nipples.
- You get one set of nipple shields per pack
- Spectra Baby USA, the company that owns the nipple shields, is owned and run by registered nurses and is approved and board certified
- The shield allows moms with inverted nipples to feed their babies naturally
- The medium size is 22 mm in size
What We Like About Mamivac Nipple Shield
The cherry shape of the nipple shield gives a natural appearance. Silicone is thicker than other nipple shields preventing pain during feeds. This is a great option for women that are struggling to breastfeed in general. They allow maximum milk flow so that your baby won’t get frustrated during a feed.
What We Don’t Like About Mamivac Nipple Shield
They fall off ladies with smaller breasts, a shorter cone can decrease and slow down milk flow if you don’t keep an eye on it. Not all babies like a cone-shaped teat and they may take some time to adjust to the shield.
- Natural looking
- Designed by nurses with moms in mind
- Babies don’t get fed up during a feed
- Thick silicone provides extra protection
- Babies will need to get used to the coned teat
The winner of this face off is the Cradle Plus nipple shield set. The shields are simple and suit most breast and nipple sizes. Every aspect of breastfeeding has been thought about when putting together the set. The nipple shields promote milk flow and unblock milk ducts, keeping your breasts comfortable during your breastfeeding experience.